Saturday, January 11, 2014

Citrus Butternut Squash Soup

I accidentally made this delicious soup.  You see, my grandmother asked me to prepare a vegetable dish for Thanksgiving dinner.  I opened my November copy of Better Homes and Gardens and after flipping through the pages in the food section, decided on Maple Glazed Squash with Pancetta (I couldn't find pancetta in the grocery store so I used prosciutto, I'm sure bacon would work also).

After I completed all the steps to the recipe and it cooked in my stock pot for nearly 20 minutes, I spooned the squash onto the serving platter.  I observed there was a significant amount of liquid in the bottom of my pot.  Me, not wanting to toss any food out, poured it into a soup mug.  A few days later, I heated it up on the stove top and ate it.  It tasted delicious!

What you need:
3 oz. pancetta, prosciutto or bacon chopped
2 T. butter
3 lbs. butternut squash peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 c water
3 to 4 T maple syrup
1/2 t salt
1/2 c unpeeled clementines, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
*(The second time it made this, I peeled 2 oranges and tossed them in pot)
1/2 cup orange juice


 What you do (if you want a side dish):
Cook choice of meat in pan until crisp and remove with slotted spoon reserving drippings.
Add butter to pan.
Add squash to pan cook over medium high heat 5 minutes
Add water, maple syrup and salt
Reduce heat, simmer covered for 8 minutes
Stir in clementines and orange juice
Increase heat to medium high, cook uncovered 6 minutes
Remove from heat
Use slotted spoon to remove squash to serving dish and sprinkle with crisp meat



What you do (if you want soup):
Follow steps above except
Leave lid on pot for all steps, don't want liquid getting out
Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup extra liquid (water or orange juice)
Toss crisp meat in at the end
Mash with potato masher or run through blender to get your desired consistency



Enjoy!
 I like this soup, my husband and daughter say it's OK, but my boys think I am trying to poison them (but they don't like squash anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment